At 11:45am this morning, the CNMI Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency announced that Tropical Storm Condition II has been declared for the islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota. Please see the attached bulletin regarding Tropical Depression 20W. Because of the anticipated threat of Tropical Depression 20W, NMC campuses on Saipan, Tinian, and Rota will be closed today, Thursday, September 23, 2021. Classes that start after 12:00pm today are canceled.
Employees are asked to take precautionary measures to anticipate strong winds and rain that will result from the tropical storm, which is tracking south-southeast of Saipan at this time. Please secure your offices / work areas before they leave for the day today and:
- Secure all critical papers, materials, and other loose items in a cabinet, desk or closet.
- Unplug all electrical equipment.
- Move as much as possible away from windows to an interior area or against an interior wall.
- Raise equipment up off of the floor, if possible.
- Cover with plastic and secure with tape any office equipment, scientific instruments, computers that cannot be stowed or moved away from windows.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Close and lock all doors.
- Before leaving, meet with your supervisor to confirm telephone numbers and learn when you are expected to call your supervisor after the storm. Assist other departments as necessary.
Further updates will be provided when available. Updates regarding the resumption of classes and other announcements will be made through student and employee email (@marianas.edu) and the following platforms:
5. News outlets including radio stations
Stay informed of weather updates, developments through the following:
Be careful, Proas.