Prospective StudentsInternational StudentCurrent StudentProa Portal

Financial Aid for Military Spouses (January 27, 2010)

Spouses of active military personnel can now tap on additional funding sources to help pay for their college education.

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA), under the Department of Defense (DOD) MilitaryOneSource program, has just awarded scholarship funds to Saipan resident Celina Babauta to continue her studies at the Northern Marianas College.

The program awards eligible military spouses up to $6,000 in financial assistance for education and helps in the creation of an employer network program for paid internship opportunities designed strictly for spouses of military personnel.

MyCAA is comprised of several key components including (1) training, (2) job readiness (3) and career services and assistance.

Under the training program, military spouses are eligible to receive assistance for training, licenses, certificates and degrees leading to portable career fields. The program will pay for education tuition, licensing exams, preparation courses, continuing education units (CEU), general education development (GED) tests, and English as a second language (ESL) classes.

The other two components of MyCAA under job readiness and employment and career services are areas of the program designed to help military spouses prepare for the job market and assist in developing an employer based network for the purpose of assisting military spouses find high paying jobs.

The Northern Marianas College (NMC) is encouraging other eligible spouses to consider applying to the program.

Celina Babauta, a current student under the business program chose NMC to pursue higher education as a military spouse under the program. Babauta is married to Major Franklin Babauta, a member of the Guam Army National Guard.

“The Department of Defense has given me the opportunity to advance my education at NMC through MyCAA. For the many years that our family has made sacrifices so that my husband can respond to the needs and safety of our country’s citizens, programs such as MyCAA make it all worth our while,” said Babauta.

NMC has met criteria requirements to be listed as a participating educational institution under the MilitaryOneSource counseling program under DOD, which handles MyCAA.

“We are pleased to know that military spouses are being given this opportunity. NMC faculty and staff will work vigorously to assure that students from MyCAA receive the best education,” said NMC Interim President Lorraine T. Cabrera.

For information on MyCAA, interested applicants can visit their website at The website provides a list of participating schools, eligibility requirements, financial assistance and career training information.

:::  Back to NMC News list  :::

Notice to Persons with Disabilities

Northern Marianas College (NMC) is committed to ensuring that all persons have equal access to its programs, opportunities, and information resources, including those on its institutional website in accordance to the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

We apologize for any inconvenience as we work on bringing NMC’s website into full compliance. For immediate assistance, please contact Lucille Deleon Guerrero by email [email protected] or by calling (670) 237-6874.

If you wish to report an issue related to the accessibility of any content on NMC’s website, including a complaint about the accessibility of a document, form, or statement, you may do so by contacting the NMC’s IT Department by email at [email protected]. In your email please include the following information:

  1. The URL you are having accessibility issues with;
  2. The accessibility issue your are experiencing;
  3. Your name, phone number, and email address.

If you would like to file a formal grievance against the Northern Marianas College pursuant to the requirements of Section 504 and Title II, you may submit such grievance to the Office of the NMC President, P.O. Box 501250, Saipan MP 96950 or email [email protected].

You may also file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) Office for Civil Rights. More information about filing a complaint with USDOE can be found at