Adult Basic Education (ABE)
For more than twenty years, the CNMI Adult Basic Education (ABE) Program has been a federally funded program focused on meeting the educational needs of adult-learners.
The mission of the Adult Education Programs of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) is to provide the educationally disadvantaged adults of the community the opportunities to acquire basic skills necessary to function more effectively and productively, to gain upward mobility, and to provide the opportunities that will enable them to pursue further education.
The goals of the ABE Program have been set at various levels in accordance with the needs of the adult learners:
1. Adult Basic Education (ABE): for those at the lowest skill levels
2. Adult Secondary Education (ASE): for those at higher skill levels and are preparing for their equivalency diploma
3. Workforce Preparation: for those preparing to enter the workforce
Adult Basic Education (ABE) provides adults instruction in basic skills for adults with low literacy skills. Adult Secondary Education (ASE) provides adults instruction whose literacy skills equate to a high school level and their goals is to obtain a high school equivalency diploma by either passing the Educational Testing Service (ETS) HiSET tests or obtaining an adult high school credential.
The CNMI Adult Basic Education Program has been designed for:
- Non-native speakers of English to improve their conversational, reading, and writing skills
- Adult students (16 years old and older) who did not complete their high school education,
but plan to complete the HiSET examinations or adult school program;
- Returning adult speakers who did not complete their high school education to prepare to take the HiSET examination or the Adult School Diploma;
- Adult literacy students to improve their basic reading, writing, and/or mathematics skill(s);
- Adults to be prepared for entry level jobs or career training; and
- Adults who are parents preparing to become effective first teachers of their children.
Under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act (WIOA), Adult Basic Education Goals are:
- Strengthen Core Partnerships
- Share Data (Performance Goals and Assessment)
- Address Skills Gap (Career Pathways)
Career Pathways: Career pathways will provide the CNMI workforce with the skills, education, work–based training opportunities, resources, support, and accommodations needed to gain employment.
Adult Basic Education Goals: Strengthen the career pathway process by improving the delivery and transition into workforce.
- Career Planning
- Career Skills Academy
Career Skills Academy:
Module One: Working Skills
- Decision Making
- Multicultural Sensitivity and Awareness
- Planning, Organizing, and Management
Module Two: Personal Skills
- Work Ethic
Module Three: Technical Skills Grounded in Academics
- Computer and Technology Literacy
- Job-Specific Skills
- Safety and Health
- Service Orientation
- Professional Development